Thursday, December 11, 2008

Final Post.... Maybe


For this last post I just wanted to express the ideas behind the creation of this blog. This profession is very special to me for a few reasons. I come from a history of firefighters in my family, I have been raised in this “firefighter” type family, and I believe that the men and women that have a firefighting career are very special and brave. This is why I hate to see or hear about incidents were fellow firefighters are being mistreated.
There is no reason for women to be mistreated anywhere, and the fire department is no exception. These women put their life on the line to try and save lives just like their male co-workers do. There is no difference between them except that they are labeled differently because of their genders. Every time I think that we have come so far as a society, I hear about another instance of the barriers that women face in this profession and it is clear to me that we still have a long way to come yet. The barriers that women have been subject to within this profession are barriers that should be lifted and issues that should be erased. No men have to face these some obstacles; so why should women?
I just hope that for those of who that have read my blog over this fall, that you have gained some knowledge and that I was able to shed some light on issue that you were probably not familiar with previous to this blog. The only way to try and make a change is to inform people of what is going on, and through this blog I feel successful in trying to make a change. We are well into the 21st century; isn’t it about time that women start getting treated fairly?

3 comments:

Liz said...

I agree with what you are saying here and I think you have a very good point that now that we are in the 21st century it is about time women get treated fairly. I think it has been more than proven that women are just as capable to do the same work as men and the discrimination against women needs to stop. This must have been an interesting and fun topic for you to research and write your blog on considering your family ties to this topic. I agree that to be a firefighter you have to be one brave soul! Great job on your blog Andrew!

skinnyKARBIE said...

i also agree. being a female fire fighter is amazing considering the fact that it has been male -dominated, still is.women need to be treatd with respect as they are also professional career individuals. gender streotypes must come to an end!

Unknown said...

Hey I think you have stated a very important point here.I am a 22year old female and I am very passionate about saving peopl's lives.I also would love to work in a fire department and would like to knw the requirements of becoming a fire fighter