Friday, December 5, 2008

Story that is close to home

For this post I have decided to talk a little about the qualities that it takes to be a firefighter. Or maybe not that so much but the qualities, that seem to be important to various fire departments around the country. I will share with you an occasion that just recently occurred with some people that I know and I should say that I am surprised this happened, by I’m not.
A friend of min recently went out to try and get hired by a local fire department; I will leave the station out of this article. He applies for the job and so do approximately 60 others, at least ten of which he said was female. They hire the top 20 from the testing process of the 60. No women got hired for the job. You may be thinking that maybe the women were not qualified; they were. My friend told me that they belonged there just as much as he did.
The other issue is that my friend got hired over all of these women and he got convicted of arson when he was a junior in high school. Not to talk badly of this guy, but as a fire department don’t you think you should hire people that have a background of putting out fires and not starting them? I thought this was very relevant to what I have been trying to inform people about this year with my blog.

1 comment:

quanah said...

I dont know a great deal about fire fighting as it comes to the city and urban areas but every summer for the last 4 years i have been a wildland fire fighter for the United states forest service and the number of women involved in this is very small is well. the ones that you do come across are usually so highly qualified that they should be at the top as they usually know more or have more qualifications than most of their co workers. Unfortunately it is a male dominated society as well as an extremely male dominated job that has been very slow to change in many categories.